When posting to your wordpress website in any form just add a #hashtag
Use #hashtags, @usernames and $cashtags in your posts.
NEW IN VERSION 3.5
hashtagger now optionally allows to only generate tags from #hashtags without showing links.
This plugin uses the WordPress Tag system to field your post under the desired tags. When saving a post each #hashtag is added as a “normal” tag (without leading hash) to the post, so it is fully compatible with existing tags.
When showing a post all #hashtags are automatically converted to links leading to the corresponding tag archive page. Creating links can be disabled to use this plugin only for automatic tag creation.
Caution: It is not necessary to generally adapt existing posts, because their tags stay unchanged. But keep in mind that on saving a post all existing tas are removed and replaced by the tags found in your post! This behavior can be changed in the Plugin Settings Area.
The usage of @usernames can be activated optionally. @usernames can link either to the Users Profile Page or to the Users Website. If the username does not exist the text remains unchanged and no link is created.
Optionally @nicknames can be used instead of @usernames. This is recommended to enhance security (read more). Although using @nicknames is the better option, the default is @usernames for compatibility to Plugin versions prior 2.1.
The usage of $cashtags can be activated optionally. $cashtags link to the concerning stock symbol at MarketWatch, Google Finance or Yahoo Finance.
Notice: stock symbols can not be validated. Using a invalid stock symbol may cause an error on the target site.
Just type anywhere in a post
- #hashtag – This adds “hashtag” as tag to the current post and on links to tag archive page for “hashtag” when showing the post.
- #hashtag – Use #hashtag to only link to a tag archive page without adding “hashtag” as tag to the post. When showing the post the link is showed as “#hashtag” (without “+”). If the tag does not exist the text remains unchanged and no link is created.
- #hashtag – Use duplicate #hashes to tell the plugin that this word should not be converted into a tag. Duplicate hashes are replaced by a single hash when showing the post.
- @username – This creates a link either to the Profile Page or the Website of User “username” (@username feature has to be activated).
- @username – Use @username to avoid link creation. When showing the post this is displayed as “@username” without link (@username feature has to be activated).
- $cashtag – This creates a link to the concerning stock symbol at MarketWatch, Google Finance or Yahoo Finance ($cashtag feature has to be activated).
- $$chashtag – Use $$cashtag to avoid link creation. When showing the post this is displayed as “$cashtag” without link ($cashtag feature has to be activated).
It is highly recommended to use @nicknames instead of @usernames!Please read this article!
POST TYPES AND SECTION TYPES
In the plugins Settings you can define where #hashtags and @usernames should be processed. It is possible to use them on Posts, on Pages and on Custom Post Types within Content, Title and Excerpt. Activate only the Post Types and Section Types you want to be processed to avoid unnecessary processing for best performance.
Additional CSS Class(es) to add to the #hashtag and @username links can be configured on the plugins setting page.
DISPLAY OF LINKS IN FRONT END
Optionally all symbols (#, @, $) can be removed from the links generated in front end.
You can use
do_hashtagger( $content ) in your theme files to process #hashtags and @usernames in $content.
As of version 3.4 the hashatgger Plugin uses GlotPress – the wordpress.org Translation System – for translations. Translations can be submitted at translate.wordpress.org.
Translations are highly appreciated. It would be great if you’d support the hashtagger Plugin by adding a new translation or keeping an existing one up to date. If you’re new to GlotPress take a look at the Translator Handbook.